Map of Central St. Leonards. Click here to view the large version of this map. It’s beautiful, with lots of details!
The guy on the right is holding a pair of roller skates. Cool!
St. Leonards bathing pool, which opened in 1933, was of Olympic standard and acclaimed as one of the finest in Europe. After the war it deteriorated and in the 1960s chalets were built around its upper area to convert it into a holiday camp. This closed in the mid-1980s and the site lay derelict until it was cleared in 1993.
East Lodge Gate. The decision to demolish the arch on traffic grounds was unpopular and it was taken down at night as a fait accompli.
This fine Burton terrace was destroyed in 1937 to build the Marine Court block of flats. You can see the similarity to the Regent’s Park area of London.
A sunny winter day in the late 1930s. Walkers are enjoying the newly-built Lower Parade. The ‘sun-trap’ shelters were very popular. The big new building mid-centre is Marine Court, built to resemble the superstructure of the Queen Mary, a passenger liner.
Laying the tram tracks caused chaotic disruption for a while, so the police had to keep an eye on it.
The trams that were working the seafront were different from the other ones, who didn’t have the Dolter stud-contact system.
Tram at the spot where later Marine Court would be built, so this photo was taken before 1937.
Grand Parade, on the corner of London Road.
Upper Norman Road in the 1900s, looking eastwards to Warrior Square.
Charles Road with some strange conveyances in transit. This pleasant residential terrace is opposite Gensing Gardens and is part of a favourite district, buing built-up in the 1880s.
This building is still in existence. You will find it on the seafront, near Warrior Square.
I believe this is the building where we can found King’s Bazaar nowadays.
The gardens had two ponds and a popular maze, and gothic-style buildings were romantically around the sides of this wooded valley, originally known as the Old Woman’s Tapshaw. Originally laid out as a private garden for the Burton family, St Leonards Gardens was bought by the town for £9,000 in 1879, after which they were made public.